Sunday, March 20, 2011

VEO Grande Cabernet Sauvignon 2009, Colchagua Valley Chile

Did I say I loved Chilean cabernet? I must have somewhere I know it.  
I found a Chilean cabernet for under $7.00. For the price, the VEO Grande 2009 Cabernet Sauvignon from the Colchagua Valley in Chile was excellent.
One source states this cabernet is rated 80.7, but it seems so much better for the price.  
It is a sturdy, medium body table wine with a deep red color and nice clarity. The legs on the VEO Grande were also very pretty.
The VEO Grande doesn’t hit hard up front, but instead prepares you for a little complexity over the tongue with light fruit, a bit of spice and as the bottle says a hint of mint as it passes by. There is nice tannin on the soft, dry finish.
My wife and I first tried the VEO Grande with nice Cabot Vermont white cheddar. The cheddar was sharp and delicious, and made the wine awesome, adding to the finish which was already good.
For dinner we had sausages infused with garlic and provolone served on a hoagie bun. We also had steak fries with the shredded Cabot cheddar and diced red onions over the top.
The wine with the French fries was very good, but the sausages would have been better with a zinfandel or syrah. As for the VEO Grande, I would have preferred it with a juicy steak.
Overall the VEO Grande Cabernet Sauvignon was a hit. Pairings aside the wine would have been nice for a quiet evening at home just sipping away.
We found this one at Sam’s Club, but there were places online offering it as well. I would track this one down if I were you.

2 comments:

  1. I too love Chilean cabs and I literally stumbled across this one at Harris Teeter for $5.99; I enjoyed it with an Angus steak burger and steak fries; delicious pairing and I am going to go back and buy more. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. I've tried a few more wines since my last post, but haven't done the write ups yet. I'll have some new posts coming up later this week. Thanks again! Tim - The Ten Dollar Wine Geek

    ReplyDelete